West Deans Gardens

By Unknown - 03:27:00


I've always loved nature and the outside world- I don't like to stay in one place for long either. I've always been very lucky in the fact that I'm able to live in such a beautiful place that has so much character and historic value to it.

I also like to explore new places, so one day when my mum was having her hair done- both me and my nan decided to visit one of her favourite places: West Dean Gardens.


Both herself and my mum had been there a few times themselves and I really wanted to go myself, so off we went. My last visit there was a child. After the short drive there from the city centre we arrived at probably one of the most beautiful and calm places I have ever been.



--A little bit of history on the gardens is as follows; the gardens have existed on the land since 1622 when the original manor was built. By 1804 the gardens were enlarged and the park was laid out, before further extension in 1818 when the gardens were extended to the west and flint walls were added. 
In 1871, Frederick Bower acquired the estate, with the gardens being opened to the public annually. By 1912 after his father's death, Edward James inherited the estate; with the 1987 storm marking the latest period of life for the gardens. --





We spent a little bit of time walking around the garden themselves before stepping into the café and having something to drink outside, while overlooking the estate. FYI they have one of the nicest hot chocolates I have ever had, and you know how much I love hot chocolate. 

I would love to go back in the summer time and see what the gardens are like then and try some of the food from their café. Overall, its such a beautiful place to visit, especially if you like nature.





If you would like to know more about the history of the gardens, location, classes, or their café and shop please visit their website: https://www.westdean.org.uk/gardens

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments